Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Theophany

This Christmas time is here at last
As it has come in times long past
The air is chilled, the roadway glassed
And yet I am forlorn

A child walks across the street
I see the print left by his feet
He hurries on - his friends to meet
I watch and I am torn

I know he hurries on to church
The choir loft to be his perch
My eyes look up in endless search
An angel sounds the horn

And as they all begin to sing
The children's voices sweetly ring
The joyful sounds of caroling
Upon this Christmas morn

A host of angels from the loft
Do utter heavenly anthems soft
But I draw tight, as I have oft,
This mantle I have worn

The visions that draw nigh to me
Are little comfort for you see
What I once thought was meant to be
Was never to be borne

Then comes to me in vision clear
Angelic guidance drawing near
My mantle does he take to bear
Beneath his crown of thorn

My soul rings out from blessed cure
And feels the blessing of the pure
And knows the love with feelings sure

No longer will I mourn

No comments:

Post a Comment